At Cuerden Church School, we aim to provide an English curriculum which allows all our pupils to flourish in an environment where they feel valued and have the courage to share their creativity with others. Our curriculum has been designed to support our pupils on their journey through school by supporting them at every step to become confident speakers, readers and writers. Our pupils are taught how to respond to the work of their peers and as a result, are able to discuss the work of others in a caring and respectful manner.
We provide an English curriculum that immerses pupils in learning that is memorable, engaging and meaningful. The English curriculum enables pupils to acquire and develop the knowledge, skills and vocabulary they need to be successful readers and writers. Our English curriculum will enable the children to develop, apply and embed their skills through linked topic learning, building on what they already know and can do.
Speaking and Listening
Communication is the most important skill in life. To understand and be understood is a basic human need which our curriculum has at its heart.
Our speaking and listening curriculum is about:
- Developing vocabulary, grammar and pupils understanding for reading and writing by hearing quality spoken language.
- Gaining information by listening in a variety of contexts.
- Elaborating, explaining, clarifying thinking and explaining their understanding.
- Using discussion to challenge, to probe and remedy misconceptions.
- Presenting ideas clearly
Our reading curriculum aims for pupils to develop the skills needed to read widely for information and for pleasure. Fostering an appreciation for reading will open the door to a world of wonder, staying with our children’s young minds for the rest of their lives.
Our reading curriculum is about:
- Experiencing reading widely, selecting texts for pleasure and enjoyment.
- Developing vital skills enabling pupils to read fluently and with confidence.
- Deepening and widening knowledge of themselves and the world they live in,
- Acquiring knowledge across the curriculum and allows pupils to build on what they already know.
Our writing curriculum aims for our pupils to develop key skills and produce quality in writing. It aims to inspire pupils to gain pleasure and develop confidence, writing for a genuine purposes and for a real audiences across the curriculum.
Our writing curriculum is about:
- Effective transcriptional skills (spelling and handwriting) are vital to ensure ideas are communicated legibly and accurately.
- Compositional skills (articulating ideas and structuring them in speech and writing) are taught as separate skills and are linked across subjects and experiences.
- The process of planning, revising and evaluating.
- Time to write and revisit writing, valuing the process and craft of writing.